Monday, August 17, 2009

When two great forces come together...

They are called Jeff Buckley & Gary Lucas. I'm sitting here listening to "How Long Will It Take" off their "Songs To No One 1991-1992" album. Last.fm is the best for finding songs you haven't heard in a long while. I remember when I first heard it. I was living in Northridge at the time, sitting with two friends, Tommy and Eric, looking at the black and white picture of Buckley and Lucas, and Tommy made some comment about how Eric resembled Buckley because of his hair and eyes in his Chico school ID. I remember hearing it and not understanding what this beautiful elaborate voice was singing. The computer didn't do it justice. I had no explanation of what I was hearing and was being blown away. It had an old 1950s feel I haven't heard since I flipped over to K-Earth 101 last. There's just something beautiful and nostalgic to the era of sound and the singularity of the guitar. There's just something alot more bare and simple that you don't find in the mainstream. Every stream of music has its utility and serves a creative purpose. But unlike the overly computerized songs on the radio, there's that intimacy that you can only get from the bare plucking of notes to a set of strings. Lucas' guitar compliments Buckley's young and vulnerable voice. Wow. Buckley brings out a lot in me. A flood of memories always take over my mind. No matter what music always brings memories to my mind.

So, for now, I think I'll switch to listening to MUSE to provide other types of memories...I just downloaded "Absolution" and "Black Holes and Revelations". Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment