Sunday, September 13, 2009

♥ Mayer Hawthorne - Soul Brother

Photo by Mayer Hawthorne Myspace

Mayer Hawthorne is the pseudonym, stage name, of Andrew Mayer Cohen, a handsome and dapper young soul singer based in LA. Listening to his music on Myspace threw me back to the golden ages of crisp suits and Motown. He is an obvious Smoky Robinson lover - their voices are so similar it's freaky and a relief both at the same time. His backing band The County uses piano, and a string and a horn section! Pure awesomeness. Listening to his jams made me reminisce about the first time I ever heard the likes of The Four Tops, The Supremes, Smoky Robinson and The Miracles (Youtube: Cruisin'), and the Temptations (Youtube: Ain't Too Proud To Beg). I'm going to make a wild assumption and call Hawthorne the next big thing, and do I dare say that he's the Male Winehouse?! 


All I can say is that it takes a brilliant singer and intelligent musical ability to be able to help resurrect classic throwback soul jams with just one man, a voice, and his band.


Check out "Maybe So, Maybe No", "Just Ain't Gonna Work Out", and "Love Is Alright" on his Myspace to get your feet moving, hips swaying, and swagger on. 


Photo by Mayer Hawthorne Myspace

Or listen to his album "A Strange Arrangement"! I haven't yet, but I think I'll buy it first! (That doesn't happen often - buy first.)


Track Listing: 




  1. Prelude
  2. A Strange Arrangement
  3. Just Ain't Gonna Work Out
  4. Maybe So, Maybe No
  5. Your Easy Lovin' Ain't Pleasin' Nothin'
  6. I Wish It Would Rain
  7. Make Her Mine
  8. One Track Mind
  9. The Ills
  10. Shiny & New
  11. Let Me Know
  12. Green Eyed Love
Listen to this if you wanna get busy - 8 times out of 10 you're most likely getting it on, either that or you're just not doing it right! 


Go to Mayer Hawthorne's Website
Go his Myspace and listen!
Follow him on Twitta! @MayerHawthorne


Listen to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment